Easy read



Sometimes things can become too much and you may begin to feel that you are experiencing a crisis with your mental health. If you are not sure what to do, call the Mental Health Matters Helpline on 0800 107 0160 and a trained telephone adviser will support you to find help.

Your first point of contact for support will depend on when you need help, where you live and whether you are already being supported by a community mental health team.

During the day (working hours)

If you do not receive support from a community mental health team, your first point of contact should be your GP.

If you already receive support from a community mental health team, your first point of contact should be your community mental health team, unless something else has been agreed with you.

Out of hours

Urgent Help - out of hours

If you need urgent support from you local Community Mental Health Team outside of hours please follow your CRISIS plan or contact your local Crisis team.

If you are in immediate life threatening danger call 999.

For non emergency medical advice call 111.


  • North Kent Crisis Team: Canterbury, Herne Bay, Faversham, Thanet and Sandwich; Pager Number 07699746208
  • South Kent Crisis Team: Ashford, Dover, Deal, Folkestone and Shepway; Pager Number 07699733903
  • Medway and Swale Crisis team: O1643 833738 or 01634 830000
  • Dartford, Gravesend and Swanley Crisis team: 01322 622129 0r 01322 622222
  • Maidstone and SWK Crisis team: 01622 725000 or 01622 725105

As an alternative to going to A&E, you may want to access one of the crisis cafes in your area:

Maidstone: Hope Cafe (run by Mind) Fridays 5-9pm and Sundays 1-5pm
Maidstone and Mid-Kent Mind
23 College Road
ME15 6YH
t 01622 692383

Tonbridge: Solace Cafe (run by Mind) Thursdays 5-9pm and Saturdays 5-9pm
West Kent Mind
3 St Mary's Road
t 01732 744950


If it is an emergency, and you are unable to contact your care-coordinator, you can call the 24- hour Mental Health Urgent Advice Line on 0800 330 8590.

You can also get emergency help at your nearest Accident and Emergency department

At evenings (after 5pm) and at weekends you can also get emergency help by calling the on-call social worker on 020 8303 7777.

You can also call the National Schizophrenia Fellowship helpline for Bexley. The English speaking helpline (0808 808 3333) is available Monday to Friday, 6pm - 12am. The Asian speaking helpline (0808 800 2673) is available on Mondays and Wednesdays, 6pm - 9pm and Tuesday to Friday 12pm - 3pm.

As an alternative to going to A&E, you may want to access one of the crisis cafes in your area:

Bexleyheath: (run by Mind)
t 0208 303 8932

What is the role of the crisis resolution home treatment team?

If your mental health has worsened, you may be referred to a crisis resolution home treatment team for assessment. These teams work with GPs, community mental health teams, police, ambulance services, accident and emergency departments and others to help people who are experiencing a crisis with their mental health.

Someone from the team will assess your needs and may recommend hospital treatment. Teams work with people to look for alternatives to hospital treatment, providing treatment within the person’s home if possible. If it is felt someone would benefit from hospital care, they are involved in arranging for that person’s admission to hospital. They are also involved in supporting people’s discharge from hospital through the provision of treatment at home.

What does the Out-of-Hours Service provide?

  • A response to new and urgent social care situations that arise 'after hours' and cannot wait until the next working day.
  • Access to Social Services resources outside normal office hours for those in greatest need.
  • Advice and assistance.
  • A service to ensure that vulnerable people who are at risk are made safe until the next working day.

Who will answer?

All calls will be taken by a trained customer service adviser who will take details and a brief message. You may then be telephoned by a trained Duty Screening Officer or Duty Social Worker depending on the nature and urgency of your call.

If you are calling from a public call box you should let the Customer Service Adviser know.

What happens next?

It can be hard to think straight when there is a crisis, especially if it is in the middle of the night. 

You may already have contact with someone from Social Services. If this is the case but a crisis occurs that cannot wait until they are available, the Out-of-Hours Service will try to help. They can often sort things out over the phone. However, if they think you need more help than they can offer over the phone, they may come out to see you.

How social services may be able to help

Sometimes people contact social services for assistance if:

  • Adults need protection because they are frightened or worried by something.
  • Older people need help because they are having difficulty looking after themselves and their home.
  • People with a disability need advice or support.
  • People are unable to look after themselves properly.
  • Carers need assistance with caring for a vulnerable adult.
  • Children are seriously ill or disabled.
  • Children need protection.
  • Families are under stress.


The police may become involved if someone is concerned for your mental health and for your safety or the safety of others. The police have powers under mental health legislation to take a person to ‘a place of safety’ in such circumstances.

Going into hospital

Sometimes it is felt that admission to hospital is the best way for someone to be supported with their mental health. The person may agree to be admitted to hospital, but sometimes they may be required to go into hospital against their will under mental health legislation. This is sometimes known as ‘being sectioned’. 

Easy Read by Working with Words using photosymbols.

Photo symbols

PageID: 9425

BasketID: 0

AgentID: 609

  1. I've forgotten my password Register